Waibaidu Bridge

From Wiki China org cn
Jump to navigationJump to search

Formerly named the Garden Bridge, the Waibaidu Bridge, spanning the Suzhou Creek, was known as one of the symbols of Shanghai.

Built in 1855, the wooden bridge was the first bridge over Suzhou Creek. All vehicles, horses, and pedestrians passing over the bridge had to pay tolls. In 1876, the bridge was renovated and thereafter no toll was demanded; however, it was still of wooden structure. In December 1907, a steel bridge was completed, and this remains the present Waibaidu Bridge.

Located at the northern end of the Bund and by the side of Huangpu Park where Suzhou Creek flows into the Huangpu River, Waibaidu Bridge adds much charm to the Bund.

Waibaidu Bridge