Old City God's Temple
The Old City God's Temple was built in the reign period of Emperor Yongle (1403-1424) of the Ming Dynasty to enshrine Shanghai's three celebrities: Qin Yubo, who was granted the title of City God of the former Shanghai County by the first emperor of the Ming Dynasty; Huo Guang, a famous general of the Han Dynasty; and Chen Huacheng, a national hero during the Opium War. In the Qing Dynasty, this temple was very popular in Shanghai. Since then, it has been renovated time and again.
Today when people talk about the Old City God's Temple, they usually relate it to the surrounding bazaar. In the old days, temple fairs used to be held on special occasions. Now, however, the former fairs have been gradually replaced by permanent markets. Now, the temple and the adjacent area has become one of the busiest and most attractive scenic spots all over Shanghai.