In 1573, this well-preserved Ming three-story wooden structure structure was built by the local county magistrate Wu Ke'ai with the support of village dignitary Yang Jixi. It is based on the lever principle and involves 3,000 inter-connecting and mutually bracing elements of Ceylon Ironwood timber. It has a saddle roof and three layers of eaves. The 13.2-m-tall and 13.8-m-wide pavilion is indeed a masterpiece of structural engineering.
Over the past 400 years, the pavilion has experienced five major earthquakes and eight typhoons, but left unscathed.