Zhanyuan Garden

From Wiki China org cn
Jump to navigationJump to search

Private classical gardens in ancient Nanjing first appeared during the Eastern Jin Dynasty (317-420), of which Zhanyuan Garden is representative. Located west of the Confucius Temple on Zhanyuan Road and next to the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom History Museum, it was the mansion of Xu Da, a high-ranking military official who helped Zhu Yuanzhang establish the Ming Dynasty. After the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom made Nanjing its capital in 1853, the garden was first occupied by the "Eastern King" Yang Xiuqing and later by deputy prime minister Lai Hanying. It became known as Zhanyuan Garden after Emperor Qianlong wrote the name when he visited the garden in 1757.

Zhanyuan Garden, Nanjing, Jiangsu