Built in 976 during the Song Dynasty, Yuelu Academy survived the Song, Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties, and remains the best preserved of its kind in China. In 1903, it became the Hunan School of Higher Education, and was renamed Hunan University in 1926.
The academy's 25,000-sq-m complex, with a floor space of various buildings totaling 7,000 sq. m, is symmetrically laid out, centered on the teaching area. It also has its own Confucian Temple, gardens and pools. For its imposing scale, disciplined layout, and majestic architecture, Yuelu Academy is without parallel in China.