The first issue of Xinhua Daily, the official newspaper of the Yangtze River Bureau of the CPC Central Committee, was published in Hangzhou on January 11, 1938. On October 25, 1938, following the fall of Wuhan City, the newspaper moved to Chongqing. On January 1, 1939, the Xinhua Daily's North China edition was launched in Qinxian, Shanxi Province. On February 18, 1947, it was closed down by the Kuomintang.
On April 30, 1949, Xinhua Daily resumed publication in Nanjing. On November 1, 1952, it became the official newspaper of the Jiangsu Provincial Party Committee of the CPC Central Committee, which it remains today.