St. Dominic Church
Praised as the most beautiful church in Macau, St. Dominic Church (Igreja de São Domingos) is located at St. Dominic's Square. A 17th century Baroque church built for Macau's Dominicans, it stands on the site of a chapel built by the Dominicans in the 1590s. The church is painted cream with green doors and windows.
It was originally built in wood, and rebuilt in stone in 1828 with a layout influenced by both Portuguese and Spanish styles. In the church stand the beautiful statutes of St. Caetano, St. Francis and St. Dominic with carved ivory heads. The 31.5m x 8m nave has two 3-m-wide side aisles. The flooring is ceramic mosaic tiles with floral decorations. The wooden roof is beautifully carved with ventilation lattices. A wooden balcony runs along the upper sections of the side walls. The choir loft above the main doors provides a panoramic view of the plaza in front of the church.
St. Dominic Church is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.