Sir Robert Ho Tung Library

From Wiki China org cn
Jump to navigationJump to search

Sir Robert Ho Tung Library (Biblioteca Sir Robert Ho Tung) is the biggest library in Macau. Its original structure, located at St Augustine Square, is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, for its historical, cultural and architectural values.

Constructed in 1894, the building was originally owned by Dona Carolina Cunha and was bought over by Hong Kong businessman Sir Robert Ho Tung in 1918 who used as private residence between 1941 to 1945. When Sir Robert passed away in 1955, the building was willed to the government to be converted into a public library, officially opened in 1958.