Ruins of St.Paul
Located at Largo da Companhia de Jesus, the Ruins of St. Paul or Ruínas de São Paulo is the most famous and the most recognizable icon of Macau. All that is left of the imposing 16th century cathedral is its front façade.
The Cathedral of St. Paul was built between 1582 and 1602 by the Jesuits, the largest Catholic Church in Asia. The cathedral was destroyed by fire in 1835, only its façade left. The façade was the work of local craftsmen and Japanese Catholics living in exile, under the direction of Italian Jesuit Carlo Spinola. The work was done between 1620 and 1627. A total of 66 stone steps lead to the façade.
The Ruins of St. Paul is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.