National Development and Reform Commission
- (1) To organize and implement national economic and social development strategies, long- and medium-term and annual plans; propose goals and policies for national economic development and optimization of important economic structures; put forward proposals for various economic measures and policies; make reports on the national economic and social development plans to the National People's Congress on behalf of the State Council;
- (2) To study and analyze domestic and international economic trends and developments and make macro-economic forecasts and warnings; study important issues involving national economic security, put forward macro-control policy suggestions, coordinate comprehensive economic and social developments; to be in charge of regulation and readjustment of routine economic operations and solve major issues in economic operations;
- (3) To compile and analyze financial and monetary situations, take part in the making of financial and currency policies, draw up and organize the implementation of industrial and pricing policies; make comprehensive analysis of the effect and result in the implementation of financial, monetary, industrial and pricing policies and supervise and inspect the implementation of industrial and pricing policies; draw up and readjust the prices of a minority of important commodities controlled by the state and important fee-charging standards; to be in charge of the control of the total amount and optimization of the structure as well as the monitoring of foreign debts, and maintain international balance of payment;
- (4) To study major issues in economic restructuring and opening up to the outside world, organize the drawing up of plans for comprehensive economic restructuring, coordinate plans for economic restructuring in specific areas; put forward suggestions for improving socialist market economic system and promoting development through reform and opening up, provide guidance to and promote overall economic restructuring;
- (5) To propose the overall scale of investment in fixed asset, plan key projects and the layout of productive forces; make arrangement for state financial funding for construction, guide and supervise overseas loans for construction and the direction of policy-guided loans; guide the investment direction of private capital in fixed assets; put forward the strategy, goals and policies for total balance and optimization of foreign capital and overseas investment; make arrangement for construction projects with state appropriations and key construction projects, key foreign investment projects, overseas resource development projects and large-sum hard currency investment projects; organize and manage the work of special inspectors for key projects;
- (6) To promote the strategic readjustment and upgrading of the industrial structure; put forward development strategies and plans for key national economic industries; study and coordinate major issues in agriculture and rural economic and social development, coordinate rural special planning and policies; guide industrial development, promote industrialization and IT development; draw up industrial regulations, guide the drawing up of industrial technological rules and regulations as well as industrial standards; draw up energy development plans for petroleum, natural gas, coal and power; promote hi-tech development, implement technological progress and provide macro-guidance on industrial modernization; guide the digestion of major technologies and complete sets of equipment introduced;
- (7) To study and analyze the development of regional economy and urbanization, propose coordination of regional economic development and the planning of the strategy to develop the western region, put forward strategies and major policies and measures for the development of urbanization; to be in charge of the coordination of regional economic cooperation and guide regional economic cooperation;
- (8) To study and analyze domestic and international market situations, to be in charge of the total balance and macro-control of major commodities; compile import and export plans for major agricultural produce, industrial products and raw materials, supervise the implementation of such plans; manage national reserve of key materials and commodities such as grain, cotton, sugar, petroleum and drugs and put forward strategies and plans for modern logistics development;
- (9) To maintain the coordination and balance between social understandings for population and family planning, science and technology, education, culture and health and national defense on one hand and national economic development on the other; put forward policies for development and mutual promotion of the economy and social undertakings and coordinate major issues in the development of social understandings;
- (10) To promote sustainable development strategies, study and draw up plans for the conservation and comprehensive use of resources, take part in the planning of eco-construction, coordinate major issues in eco-construction and the conservation and comprehensive use of resources; organize and coordinate the work of environmental industries;
- (11) To study the situation of multiple economic ownership, put forward suggestions for the optimization of ownership structure and enterprise organizational structure, promote fair competition and common development of enterprises of different kinds of ownership; study and put forward policies and measures for the promotion of small and medium-size enterprises and the non-state sector of the economy, strengthen macro-guidance and coordinate major development issues;
- (12) To study and put forward policies on promoting employment, readjusting income distribution, improving social security and coordinated economic development, coordinate major issues in employment, income distribution and social securities;
- (13) To draft laws and draw up regulations in regard to national economic and social development, economic restructuring and opening up to the outside world, and take part in the drafting and implementing of related laws and regulations; and
- (14) To undertake other jobs delegated by the State Council.
The commission is composed of 26 departments (or offices), including the general affairs office, policy research office, development planning department, comprehensive national economy department, economic operation bureau (also office of the inter-ministerial meeting for reducing burdens of enterprises), comprehensive economic restructuring department, fixed asset investment department, industrial development department, overseas capital utilization department, regional economy department (office of the State Policy Coordination Group for Climate Changes), rural economy department, energy bureau (State Petroleum Reserve Office), transport department, industry department (office of the Leading Group for the Work on the Implementation of Convention on Banning Chemical Weapons, rare earth office, salt industrial management office), hi-tech industry department, small and medium-size enterprise department, environment and comprehensive use of resources department, social development department, economic and trade department, financial and monetary affairs department, pricing department, price supervision and inspection department, employment and income distribution department, laws and regulations department, foreign affairs department, and personnel department.