Lion Grove Garden
The Lion Grove Garden is located on Dongbeiyuanlin (Northeast Garden) Street in Suzhou, close to the Humble Administrator's Garden. Occupying an area of 1.11 hectares, it was built in 1342 during the Yuan Dynasty by the Buddhist Monk Tianru in memory of his master Zhongfeng. Since the garden abounds in bamboos and grotesque rocks resembling ferocious beasts, and since Monk Zhongfeng came from a place called Lion Rock in Zhejiang's Tianmu Mountain, it was named Lion Grove, or Lion Grove Temple. When Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty visited the garden in 1703, he presented it a plaque bearing his inscription of "Lion Grove Temple" and also penned a couplet for it.