The ancient city of Jiaohe is located 10 km (6.2 miles) west of Turpan City, Xinjiang.
Shaped like a willow leaf, Jiaohe, with a history of 2,300 years, lies on a tableland between two rivers. It was the capital of the ancient State of Cheshi from the second century BC to 450 and was then converted into a county of the Gaochang State during the Tang Dynasty (618-907). It was abandoned in 1389.
Because of the Yaernazigou River surrounding the area from both the east and west sides, and also due to the dry weather, the city has been preserved well. People can still recognize the alleys, houses, temples, towers and the two city gates in Jiaohe.
On October 17, 1994, some archaeologists excavated the graves of two Cheshi State noblemen on the northern bank of the river. There were 24 horse pits with 35 sacrificial horses and one camel pit with a sacrificial camel around Pit No.3. In Pit No.2, they found 20 horse pits with 50 sacrificial horses and one camel pit with two sacrificial camels.
Archaeologists also found a two-layer medal jar with three sea pearls and five Buddha's relics in an underground temple of Jiaohe.