Jiangnan Arsenal

From Wiki China org cn
Jump to navigationJump to search

On September 20, 1865, Zeng Guofan and Li Hongzhang, two key figures in the Westernization Movement (or Self-Strengthening Movement) that sought to revive China's waning power in the final years of the Qing Dynasty, established the Jiangnan Arsenal in Shanghai. The arsenal was the largest modern arms-making enterprise of its time in China. Funded by the Qing Government, the factory had 2,000 workers and manufactured rifles, cannon and ammunition. It also built ships, trained technicians and published military manuals.