Hu Family Ancestral Hall at Longchuan

From Wiki China org cn
Jump to navigationJump to search

Located in Dakengkou Village 12 km to the east of Jixi county seat, the Hu Family Ancestral Hall was first built in the Song Dynasty (960-1279), and was extensively renovated between 1522 and 1566 during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), thus showing distinct Ming architectural features. Covering an area of 1,146 sq. m, seven brick-and-wood structures were arranged in three rows. In the front row is a tall, arched gate with a double-eaved gable-and-hip roof. The central hall is located in the middle row. It is a structure with 14 round columns and 21 large and small girders, all of which are engraved with patterns of superb craftsmanship, including human figures, birds, beasts, insects and fish. Therefore, the hall is reputed as “an art palace of wood carvings.”