Situated to the west of Xisi crossroads, Guangji Temple was first built in the 12th century in the Jin Dynasty and renovated in the Chenghua Reign (1465-1487) of the Ming Dynasty when it was renamed Temple of Wide Mercy and Vast Succor (Hongci Guangjisi). The present buildings of the temple were reconstructed in 1935 after a big fire. This ancient Buddhist temple is also the home of the Beijing Buddhist Culture Research Center and the China Buddhist Association. It is one of the few temples in the city proper since most of the temples in Beijing are scattered in the outskirts.
Every month, on the 1st, 8th, 15th and 23rd of the lunar calendar, Buddhists come to the temple to worship. Buddhist delegations from other countries often come to visit the temple and the association.