Located in the eastern suburbs of Shenyang, Liaoning Province, Fuling Mausoleum (East Tomb), the mausoleum of Nurhachi (1559-1626), the founder of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), and his empress, covers an area of 194,800 sq. m.
Construction of Fuling Mausoleum began in 1629 and finished in 1651. It was built against the Tianzhu Mountain, enjoying a grand topography, rich historic connotation and beautiful scenery. The natural layout of Fuling Mausoleum can be divided into three parts from south to north.
The first part, or the outside part, is the Frontispiece of the mausoleum. On both sides of the Frontispiece stand delicately carved Stone Lions, huabiao (ornamental columns), Memorial Archways and Stone Tablets.
The second part refers to the Sacred Way. Pairs of “Stone Animals” such as lions, horses, camels and tigers stand either side of the way. At the end of the Sacred Way is the famous 108-Step Stairway revealing the supremeness of imperial power. The second part also includes a stele pavilion built in 1688.
The third part, known as the Treasure City, is the main structure of Fuling Mausoleum and also the most characteristic of the architectural style of the Qing Dynasty. Under the Treasure City is where Nurhachi and his empress were buried.