Fort Santo Domingo
Built by the Spanish in 1639 at Tamsui on the northwestern coast of Taiwan, Fort Santo Domingo was originally made of wood. It was destroyed in 1636 by the local citizens who were infuriated by the taxes imposed on them by the Spanish governor. A year later, the Spanish rebuilt the fort with stone. Before the Dutch took over the administration of Taiwan in 1642, the Spaniards had themselves brought down the fort. The Dutch built a new fort there and named it Fort Antonio, which was replaced by another fort named Anthonio in 1644. In 1868, the British used Fort Santo Domingo as their trade consulate till 1972 when the castle was handed over to China.
Fort Santo Domingo is now a museum.