Chihkan Mansion in Tainan City is an imposing traditional Chinese architecture and an important historic relic. It was built by the Dutch as a castle on sea in Chihkan area during Emperor Yongli's reign period (1403-1424) of the Ming Dynasty. Made of red bricks and tiles, it is called the Red Hair Mansion by the local people, also known as the "Red Mosaic Mansion." The mansion served as the headquarters when Zheng Chenggong took back Taiwan from the Dutch in 1661. In 1862, the mansion was destroyed in a big earthquake, and during Qing Emperor Guangxu's reign period (1875-1908), the Wencheng Pavilion, Haishen (Sea God) Temple and other buildings were constructed on the ruins.
Now on the spot remain a huge cannon and an observatory. At the square center in front of the mansion stand a series of carved statues showing Zheng Chenggong accepting the surrender of the Dutch army.