Located on the southwest tip of the Macau Peninsula, the A-Ma Temple is the oldest of the three major Chinese temples in Macau. It was first built in 1488. The name Macau was actually derived from A-Ma Kok, meaning the Bay of A-Ma Temple.
With four major halls, the temple is dedicated to the goddess Matsu, also known in Hong Kong as Tin Hau, a patroness of seafarers and fishermen.
The A-Ma Temple is listed a UNESCO World Heritage Site.