72 Martyrs Cemetery
Situated on the southern slope of Mount Baiyun, the 72 Martyrs Cemetery was built in 1921 in commemoration of the 72 members of Tung Meng Hui (Chinese Revolutionary league) who laid down their lives during the Guangzhou Uprising led by Dr. Sun Yat-sen (Sun Zhongshan) on March 29th, 1911, against the rule of the Qing Dynasty.
Covering an area of 130,000 sq. m, the cemetery includes the Martyrs' Tomb, Memorial Walls, Music Stage, Square Pond, Huanghua Pavilion, Western Pavilion and Torch of Freedom. It was designed by the renowned landscape gardener Yang Xizong. Sun Yat-sen himself planted a pine tree in the park.
The cemetery achieved its present shape in 1935. The Torch of Freedom, located at the highest point of the cemetery, symbolizes the noble spirit of the martyrs in pursuit of freedom and liberty.